Making Sense of the 80/20 Rule in Social Media

Have you ever looked at your feed and thought, “Wow, there’s too much sales-y stuff going on”? Yeah, you’re not alone. With around 2.5 billion people worldwide chilling on social media and spending an average of 145 minutes a day scrolling through feeds, we’ve all been there.

Here’s the thing, though. It’s not just about being on social media; it’s about how you play the game. And this is where our friend, the 80/20 rule, comes into play. In a nutshell, this social media golden rule says that 80% of your posts should be about cool stuff like industry news, interacting with followers, or showing what your team did last weekend. The remaining 20%? That’s your time to shine and talk about your products or services.

But why all this hoopla about the 80/20 rule?

Fostering Relationships, Not Just Fans

First up, we’re aiming to create relationships, not just rack up followers. According to Sprout Social, 64% of consumers want brands to connect with them. If your feed is all “buy this, buy that,” you’re more likely to get the silent treatment from your followers than hearty engagement.

Navigating Algorithmic Challenges

Social media platforms are tricky. They’ve got these algorithms that push up posts they think users will find valuable. If you’re constantly promoting, your posts might get a cold shoulder from these algorithms. Create content that gets the love (likes, shares, comments), and you’re more likely to pop up in feeds.

Avoiding Ad Fatigue

In an era where consumers are exposed to up to 10,000 ads per day, ad fatigue is a real concern. Bombarding followers with too much promotional content can desensitize them to your messages, reducing the effectiveness of your marketing efforts. By limiting self-promotion to 20% of your content, you can maintain your audience’s interest and reduce the risk of ad fatigue.

Driving Long-term Business Success

While it might feel like a good idea to keep tooting your own horn, research says otherwise. Content Marketing Institute found that a whopping 96% of super successful content marketers were trusted by their audience. This trust is gold. It means your followers are more likely to become your customers and even your brand’s cheerleaders.

The 80/20 rule isn’t just some arbitrary guideline; it’s a legit strategy for winning at social media. By focusing on sharing the good stuff 80% of the time and talking about your brand 20% of the time, you’re on the path to a stronger, more engaged community. Because remember, social media isn’t just about selling stuff; it’s about making genuine connections. And the 80/20 rule? It’s your secret weapon to do just that.

Also, keep in mind, the algorithm is a living, breathing thing. When a few posts experience less engagement, social networks like Facebook and Instagram will show your future posts to smaller organic audiences. Yes, you still need to post some promotional content, even if it will get lower reach. But, by only posting promotional content 20% of the time, you’ll be able to still drive website clicks or phone calls or whatever your desired outcome is form your digital marketing efforts while not crushing your organic reach.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s